Having done our homework we’re very proud to be supplying what we found to be the best solution for a wicking bed liner (to date – we’re always looking to better our selves and products!).
- High Density polyethylene (HDPE)
- an average .5mm thick
- UV and temperature stable, and resistant against soil acids and organic compounds
- passes Australian standards for contact with potable water (see more below)
- easy enough to work with, while still being strong enough to withstand some mistreatment
A few other fun facts that you may enjoy:
- the roll is 3.76m wide and just over 600m long: yep more than half a kilometre of wicking bed liner magic
- a full roll weighs a smidge over 1.1 tonnes
- while easy to cut, it’s actually rather difficult to puncture
There’s also some Australian standards that apply to this stuff:
“Potable Water Certifications
The AS/NZS 4020:2005 standard requires that the product not affect the taste or appearance of water; not support the growth of micro organisms; and not release cytotoxic or mutagenic compounds or metals when immersed in, or exposed to, test water in accordance with extraction procedures as outlined for each of the tests. Extraction is allowed to proceed for a period of time, the final extract is then analyzed in accordance with the test requirements for each test.” The liner we use passes this test.
Basically that means while still being a plastic, it’s a very good one for food type applications, like your new wicking bed. Awesome.