Having done our homework we’re very proud to be supplying what we’ve found to be the best solution for a wicking bed liner so far.
- made from 0.5mm thick ‘fortified polyolefin alloy’; this is in the same class of plastics as polyethylene which is used in drink bottles and builders plastic etc., only our product is tougher than polyethylene.
- potable water grade (see more below)
- UV and temperature stable, and resistant against soil acids and organic compounds
- easy enough to work with, while still being strong enough to withstand some mistreatment — while easy to cut, it’s actually rather difficult to puncture
A few other fun facts that you may enjoy:
- the roll is 3.76m wide and just over 600m long; yep, more than half a kilometre of wicking bed liner magic
- a full roll weighs a smidge over 1.1 tonnes
Here’s the Australian standards that apply to this stuff:
Potable Water Certifications
The AS/NZS 4020:2005 standard requires that the product not affect the taste or appearance of water; not support the growth of micro organisms; and not release cytotoxic or mutagenic compounds or metals when immersed in, or exposed to, test water in accordance with extraction procedures as outlined for each of the tests. Extraction is allowed to proceed for a period of time, the final extract is then analyzed in accordance with the test requirements for each test.
The liner we use passes this test.
Basically that means while still being a plastic, it’s a very good one for drinking water applications, and therefore also great in your new wicking bed. Awesome.