Update @August 2020
(Stage 4 restrictions for Melbourne)
Yes, we are still trading! Under the VicGov workplace guidelines we can continue operating with our COVID Safe Plan, which we’ve been operating under since March 2020. (We’re in the category: Hardware, building and garden supplies.)
To clarify what is possible, our orders are available for:
- Shipping nationwide via courier for our wicking conversion kits, and VEG contactless delivery for our timber kitset beds & wicking kits (if not couriered) to Metro Melbourne areas (with only 1 VEG team member delivering).
- Only if your order cannot be shipped, we have contactless collection from our warehouse in Brunswick. We would note a few points if you’re collecting your order:
- Please be prompt in collecting your order onsite and follow the best health practices (using hand sanitiser, wearing a mask, only 1 person collecting),
- If you have any questions email us and we’ll get back to you ASAP. Our warehouse is not operating as a retail outlet, so we won’t be answering the door for questions.
Other changes to our trading are:
- No onsite wicking bed, chook system or landscape installs for this period
- No deliveries of chook houses for this period (at least until we devise a delivery method only requiring 1 VEG team member)
- Only 1 VEG team member filling orders in the warehouse at any one time; please also bear in mind this will slow our usual order fulfilling times.
The Team @ VEG
All about VEG Wicking Beds
Wicking beds are a revolutionary way of watering. They help you save time and water, while producing lush, healthy, and unstressed veggies regardless of the heat of the season.
Getting it right can be technical and tricky though. After years installing hundreds of wicking beds at home and professionally, we now offer our foolproof wicking bed conversion kits and instructional materials to the public.
Our wicking beds use heavy duty food-grade plastic liner which is good for your health and resilient against leaks. We also use the overflow and drainage system of our own invention which is now becoming an industry standard.
Along with free instructions and advice based on years of experience and many hundreds of wicking beds, we sell:
- DIY wicking bed conversion kits (potable-water grade liner, geotextile fabric, and plumbing assemblies) all across Australia
- wicking bed installation services in Melbourne
- natural cypress veggie bed edging, whether as DIY kitsets or fully installed by our professional team
- and we also run workshops for community groups and councils
We wish you well in your wicking bed adventures, and we hope you find something of use on this site!
Very Edible Gardens (VEG) is a permaculture design, education and gardening company in Melbourne Australia directed by Dan Palmer and Adam Grubb, pictured above with the VEG Wicking Bed managers Jeremy and Brendon.
While we created this site to focus on our wicking bed offerings, you can check out our popular courses and other offerings over at the main VEG website.